Tuesday 8 January 2013

Tuesday - A Walk In London To See The Starman

I thought I'd go into London today for a long walk and to photograph something before it's removed. I started off at Fenchurch Street and walked to St. Paul's, picking up lunch as I went.


View Larger Map

I rested a while and ate my sandwiches in the gardens outside. It was overcast, so the pictures aren't brilliant, but it wasn't that cold either.


I continued via the Embankment, past Cleopatra's Needle:


and on through Trafalgar Square past Admiralty Arch to see the Yuri Gagarin monument.



It's a copy of one in Russia and was unveiled by his daughter, Elena. The monument is due to be moved to Greenwich near the observatory sometime in the next few months, so I was lucky.

Think on this: he was the first person ever to leave our little speck of dust. All those imaginings of Jules Verne and H.G. Wells and the rest are embodied in this man and his statue. What they dreamt of, he did it. It should be a bigger monument.

I finished the day by walking to the V&A and having cream tea, which was very welcome and ended an inspiring day just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment