Sunday 26 August 2012

An Afternoon at The Old Star

I joined a boardgames group on Meetup that meets at a pub near The Houses of Parliament, called The Old Star:


It's a very popular group, with nearly forty people. What's nice is that it fairly mixed, husbands/boyfriends bringing wives/girlfriends, making less of a "forty-year-old geezer" feel to it (careful!).

This week I played Notre Dame:


It's a resource building game of a fixed number of turns, the aim to aquire victory points. It's not bad and I held my own, despite coming last (the winner got 50-something while I got 39). My attitude with a new game is that I'm going to lose anyway as the winner is usually the one who knows the rules the best, so I just play to have a bit of fun, enjoy it and gain some experience.

The second game was Frag!


Basically it's Quake Deathmatch as a boardgame. The game's a bit brutal and you don't have much time to enjoy success before being fragged yourself, but it's good fun when you get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment