Sunday 7 October 2012

Oxfam Saturday

An uneventful day in the shop. I was downstairs throughout the afternoon after Mark had asked me to do a turn. He wanted me to cover the 2 - 5 slot downstairs as well as assisting one of the teenagers, Jasmin ("a bit vague", said Mark). She was just as he described, in the way that teenagers are; learning to be charming; slightly catty, in an offhand way, about one of her schoolmates who turned up unexpectedly.

She reminded me about a scene in the film Nikita, both in the French and American version. As part of her assassins training, the protagonist is being taught manners and deportment by an older woman, Amanda, played by Jeanne Moreau in the French version and Anne Bancroft in the American, both class actresses. Amanada says that she must learn to do or say something when faced with an extraordinary situation, to put people at their ease. In the French version this is to smile sweetly, in the American to say, "I never did mind about the little things".

The delightful Jesse, who witnessed my handling of a difficult customer a few months ago, was upstairs playing Meatloaf. Not my choice, but still:



Mark has put her forward for the Deputy Managers job at Brentwood, which she's more than capable of doing, but Anne, his boss, also has a candidate, so it's all to play for.

No comments:

Post a Comment