Sunday 14 July 2013

End of Watch

I received this cop film as part of my LoveFilm subscription about a week or so ago, but have only now got around to watching it. Two L.A.P.D. patrolmen (Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña, who was in The Shooter with Mark Wahlberg) videotape their everyday lives while getting more involved in combatting a Mexican drugs cartel.


Probably one of the most powerful films I've seen this year and certainly the best of it's type I've seen for a while. The acting is superb, with Gyllenhaal and Peña looking like they've known each other for years. I thought that the video-taping was a bit gimicky at first, but it does give a certain intimacy which compliments the rest of the film: you do feel like you're on patrol with them. It's a great film with a lot of emotional engagement and highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment