Tuesday 19 October 2010

Tuesday: Tunng and Duxford

Tunng

Yesterday I did my usual afternoon shift at the Oxfam shop. However, John, who's normally on the counter upstairs, was on holiday and so I replaced him. Although upstairs is quiet (it's the music/DVD section, full of old LP's), it has a little music centre and I took some CD's to play. One of them was a freebie from The Word magazine with the nicest, most charming version of Guns and Roses' "Welcome to the Jungle" you have ever heard, by Hellsongs.

Another CD was the latest album by Tunng, called "...And Then We Saw Land". They are a folk band, not a genre I have much to do with, but I heard them on "The Imagined Village" album, which won quite a few music awards, doing a version of "Death and the Maiden". They are a very original band, not avant garde exactly but as near as folk is ever likely to get. For instance, one song on the album ends with what sounds like someone dropping a scaffolding pole onto a concrete floor. I know it's hardly Throbbing Gristle, but we're talking folk music here, remember. The album is patchy, not all the songs work, but when they do it's quite something.

Duxford

I've spent most of the afternoon out at Duxford, photographing aeroplanes. The weather started okay, but by the time I got to the museum, it started to hack down, so a bit miserable. Still, I got to see the Duxford TSR2:



Wayne Rooney

As a long time Man. City fan, I can't help but feel sorry for the Salford Boys Club Football Team (a.k.a. ManU), and although I'm laughing on the outside, I'm also laughing on the inside. They've obviously run out of meat pies for Wayne, and there are rumours that he'll join the only real Manchester football club. City seems to get most it's players from Salford these days, anyway, and if he's as good as "El Torro", we've got the league in the bag. And even if he doesn't, it's still funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment