Thursday 29 July 2010

Thursday and Morning Shift at Oxfam

I usually do about an hour or so in the afternoon at the Oxfam Bookshop in Chelmsford on Mondays and Thursdays. However, yesterday, I got a text from Gill asking if I could come in earlier to do the morning shift as the woman who does the upstairs till, which is the music and DVD's, was on holiday. The up-side of this is that a) it's quiet first thing and b) you get to play your own tunes. I made up some CD's last night to play and I started off with Miles Davis (Kind of Blue) followed by Dave Brubek (Time Out). Cool Jazz is easy on the nerves and difficult to object to by the punters, especially if it's good. I followed this up with a dubstep remix of Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds and an old-school rave mix by Moby, which made things easier while I sorted through a load of DVD's which needed culling.

After my shift ended, I went shopping and ended up having a look in Games Workshop. I exchanged pleasantries with the assisstant on duty and left. As I went out of the shop, a thought struck me and I went back in.

"Back already", said the assistant.

"I know it's a funny question", I asked, "but how do you get to work for Games Workshop?".

"I'll just get you a form", he said and disappeared into the back of the shop.

"Fill it in", he said as he handed me the form, "Bring it back and we send it up to HQ (Nottingham) and they take it from there".


The form is just like any other (previous experience, qualifications, etc), but with the Imperial double-headed Eagle emblasoned on the front and it's got questions like "What's your favourite Warhammer/W40K army and why?". All job application forms should be like that.

1 comment: